Lou Vaughn’s choice of decking materials are as follows:
- AZEK Composite Decking – Durability to weather fading and molds is outstanding! The color “Brownstone” has less heat retention verses other composite decks, enabling one to walk barefooted in the heat of the day! Installed first AZEK deck in 2010 and homeowner says it still looks like new! Decking has been used exclusively by a local custom builder for over 10 years and has outstanding feedback for all his clients! Deck needs no sealers!
- Veranda Composite Decking – Great product for your money! Holds up excellent against mold
- Timber Tech – Holds up well and offers very attractive handrail options. Somewhat expensive!
- Pressure Treated Decking – Very cost effective upfront but alot of time to keep it up with the composites as far as decay and appearance! Cracking in the decking is inevitable!
- IPE Decking – An exotic hardwood. Used alot in public parks and boardwalks! Untreated material turns to a grey color without much splintering if any! Somewhat expensive.
Decking That Don’t Last
I was called to look at this deck that had been installed by a local deck contractor. The decking was only 2 years old and it looked like this everywhere! I don’t think this manufacture is still in business, so the owner was stuck with the replacement cost.